Vacancy: Reception - Care Navigator
Job Title: Reception - Care Navigator
Responsible to: Reception Supervisor
Reports to: HR Manager
Hours per week: 37.5 hours per week (this could be a job share 2x 20 hours)
This post requires close working with team members in signposting patients to the correct service which is not necessarily the GP. It requires patience, an ability to remain calm at all times and empathy. It is a highly pressured role.
We are a 15700 patient training practice with other service users on site.
Role and Responsibilities
- Communicating with patients and outside agencies in person or on the telephone
- Booking appointments for clinicians as appropriate, paying close attention to continuity of care
- Cancelling and re-allocating appointments
- Working in our reception hub or front desk reception (patient facing services) on a rota basis
- Opening and closing of the building where necessary
- Some Saturday working (time and a half)
- Dealing with prescription queries, referral queries and general day to day enquiries
- Taking responsibility for an area of Quality Improvement
- Actioning tasks and messages from other areas within the practice
- Taking private work requests and receipt of funds
- Attending training in all areas as well as mandatory NHS training
- Attending staff meetings (working lunch)
- Undertake one to one meetings with line management
- Undertake annual appraisal.
- Any other duties that may be required.
Although a set number of hours are allocated to this post, the Practice requires some flexibility in working to ensure cover is provided during core working hours and to cover in periods of staff holiday or other absence and Saturdays as required.
All staff have a duty to conform to the following:
Health & Safety
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the Practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
- Using security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and Diversity
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to an individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
- Ensure statutory and mandatory training is undertaken / maintained
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Asses own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
- Participate in audit to ensure effective evaluation and best practice
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members, external agencies, patients and carers
- Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the Implementation of Services
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the polices, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
This job description is not exhaustive, is subject to periodic review and amendment in line with practice, local and national priorities and changing circumstances.
Please send your interest to Val Denton via the practice contact form:
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.