The Health Centre is accessible to all patients. We have dedicated disabled parking spaces. There is a ramp up to the front entrance which has automatic doors, and a lift for access to the first and second floors. Disabled toilet facilities are available on all floors. Guide dogs are welcome in the building.
Disability Access Protocol
This document provides the basis for the Practice to assess the needs of its disabled patients and staff, and those with mobility or other requirements to ensure that their access to the services is, as far as practicable, maximised.
Access to information about facilities
Information on the provisions made for disabled patients is detailed in the New Patient Leaflet which is handed out to all new patients on registration. This leaflet is also available in large type, for ease of reading by partially sighted patients.
The Practice website contains a section outlining the facilities available at the Practice, including the accessibility features of the building. This information will be altered as necessary based on the findings of any Access Audits carried out.
The Practice will:
- Provide large font Practice leaflets.
- Ensure signage is clear and non-obstructive.
- Ensure access to the building is easy and free of obstacles.
- Provide clearly marked and wider disabled parking bays.
- Allow guide or other assistance dogs into the premises.
- Provide a range of high-backed winged chairs with a high seat base to assist elderly or disabled patients in standing or sitting.
- Offer private room facilities for patients who may have communication, reading, or writing difficulties.
- Provide disabled toilet facilities on each floor.
- Allow a carer/friend/family member to accompany a disabled patient into a consultation to provide support.
- Consider any reasonable proposed building improvements.
- Maintain the lift in good working order to ensure full access to all parts of the building for those with a physical disability or mobility issues.
- Ensure there is a robust process in place to ensure that anyone with a disability can be evacuated safely in the event of a fire or other emergency.
- Maintain the induction loop facility.
- Provide patient’s with a physical or sensory impairment with the opportunity to express a preferred communication method.
As specified in the practice’s Equal Opportunities Policy, the practice will not discriminate against any disabled employee/job candidate, and this includes ensuring that all reasonable steps are taken to allow access to/movement around the practice by staff members with a disability. The practice is committed to making any such reasonable adjustments.
Maintaining and Improving
The Practice operates from a shared building, used by various healthcare professionals. Eastville Medical Practice owns the building jointly with Maytrees Practice. Both practices recognise and take seriously their duty to provide adequate facilities.
The Practice will audit its facilities on an annual basis or at significant changes to the premises. The results will be recorded and filed along with any action plans or other documentation required. Any repairs/modifications required will be acted upon in a timely manner.
We have a loop induction system at the reception desk to assist the hearing impaired.
- British Deaf Association
- The Deaf Health Charity – SignHealth
- Action Hearing Loss
- Royal Association for Deaf People
- National Deaf Children’s Society
Blind / Partially Sighted
If you or family members are blind or partially sighted we can give you a large print of our practice leaflet upon request. Please ask Reception for further information.
For more advice and support for blind people please see the following websites:
- Royal National Institute of Blind People (RIND)
- British Wireless for the Blind Fund
- British Blind Sport
Guide dogs are welcome at the surgery but we ask that you be aware of other patients and staff who may have an allergy or fear of dogs.
Other Disability Websites
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.